May 05, 2009

"You won't believe what Gwen did today..."

In our house, this phrase is a common one, however, whenever it is the first greeting Brad gets when he arrives home from work...he knows it is something. That is exactly how it was last night. After a kinda busy day at work, I picked up Gwen from Carolyn. Carolyn has been working with her sister-in-law flipping a couple houses in the area and Gwen has been their personal assistant. Monday's job was sanding down the floors. I already knew the Gwen was feeling much better based on how she looked when I walked in the door. She was covered in dust (from rolling in it apparently), barefoot (she has figured out velcro and how to take off her shoes), and she was eating cookies. As we drove home I decided that we would go for a walk and get some fresh air during the afternoon. I quickly changed my clothes, and we headed out. No sooner did we get to the post office and it started to sprinkle. So much for our walk, so we headed home. No sooner did we get home and it stopped. Instead of heading in, I then decided to work on putting together a fountain while we were outside. Gwen was being really good, at first, and helping by bringing me rocks from the driveway and flowers from the grass. I was in the mud dumping sand down when Gwen noticed something much more fun than rocks and flowers....sand! She dove into my pile (I was going to flatten it and use it to level the pond) and started rolling around in it. Then she was picking up handfuls and in the mouth they went! YUCK! It didn't stop her though. She continued playing in the sand, and mud, and I continued to try to make the fountain. I finally got her out of the sand, was able to put the pond tub down and in came Gwen and sand! I even had put a little water in the pond to check to make sure I was making it level! So now Gwen has floor dust, sand, mud, and water on her! This wasn't enough fun though. I cleaned her off with the water faucet outside (we haven't bothered to hook up a hose yet) and I found something for her to do. She was on ground level playing fine and I turned to get the watering can. When I turned around Gwen was on the deck! Fast little bugger! I walked over to get her and was at the bottom step reaching for her and she took a log roll down the stairs! She went down only 2 steps (thank goodness!) and somehow only bit her lip! Of course she was wailing, but it could have been soooo much worse. Needless to say at this point I gave up on the fountain, stripped Gwen of her clothes, and put her in the bath. This is where Brad found us when he came home...much happier and cleaner :-). I did get to finish the fountain last night and it looks great! Brad and Gwen got some quality time together too!